Ready for Spring?
Are you tired of the usual winter foods and recipes? As Spring approaches (hooray!), you might begin to crave different foods. Are you wondering how to adjust your diet to find balance with the incoming season? Do you want to prepare for the natural detox and weight loss time of the year?
The Ayurvedic Spring Diet Boosts Digestion, Metabolism, and Detoxification
Ayurveda teaches us to choose lighter, drier foods now that we’re heading towards the transition between the cold and warm seasons. Enter the cool and damp season or the Kapha season as it’s known in Ayurveda. Kapha is the Earth & Water energy that brings heaviness both in negative and positive ways. We may feel more grounded and warmer in Spring, but we may also feel our digestion slowed to a halt. The usual Winter comfort foods may feel too heavy. So, time to listen to our bodies and change things up. A Spring or Kapha diet is lighter, drier, and easier on digestion. Since it’s easier to digest, there’s less chances of accumulating toxins that results from impartially digested foods. It will also give digestion and metabolism a kick-start for Spring, which is the annual cleansing season that sets the stage for detoxification per Ayurvedic wisdom. Here’s some ideas to ponder for Spring … remember, these are temporary changes. We’re encouraged to switch our diet up with every season. The Ayurvedic diet is never boring! Eat less of the following:
- Processed foods, especially processed flours and sugars
- Raw foods.
- Too cold for this season and harder to digest.
- The sweet taste builds body mass. For most of us, it’s time to tell our bodies that we don’t need to insulate against freezing temps anymore.
- Sour and salty foods.
- For example, you might ease off sourdough baking or super salty snacks. The sour taste is heavy and salty tells our bodies to retain water. Not right now, thanks!
Eat more of the following:
- Whole foods, freshly prepared and cooked to aid digestion.
- Plant-based foods.
- Foods with more astringent, bitter, and pungent tastes.
Watch my Gut Health & Reset webinar to learn more along with specific dietary modifications that I usually share with my clients. Scroll down for more …
The Ayurvedic Spring Diet Ushers In Your Summer Body
That’s right! These tips should help you prepare for the natural fat-burn of Spring. You won’t want to miss that boat; otherwise, you might hang on to winter pounds into Summer. When do you make these changes? Whenever you feel the temps starting to rise and/or you feel your body reacting; i.e., feeling warmer, craving lighter/different foods, etc. The Spring Equinox is only a month away so the following weeks is an important time of preparation. Don’t try to do the all at the same time and overwhelm yourself. Try a gradual change tackling one or two food groups at a time. That’s the best recipe for success.
Ayurvedic Cleansing: Crown Jewel of the Spring Season
When Spring has officially sprung, you might be ready to try an Ayurvedic cleanse. Spring is the perfect time to do this as a digestive re-boot is much needed after the heavy foods and sedentary lifestyle that winter brings. We’ve also accumulated toxins from the excesses of the holidays and winter indulgences. We don’t want those hanging around, right? It’s time to send winter weight and toxins packing while giving digestion and metabolism a serious kick in the butt. If you want to learn how to do an Ayurvedic cleanse on your own, check out my Programs webpage for a couple of things:
- An Ayurvedic Cleansing How-To E-book; my own program that I’ve fine tuned over the years called Gut Reset
- A group cleanse program starting in May, which includes the E-book. Why go it alone when you can make it fun and get additional guidance from me?
Here’s to a refreshed, new You!